Under the Data Protection Act, London Nightline is required to state how we use and/or process any personal data, which may be provided by users of this service.
London Nightline Will:
- Offer an email listening service. During use of this service users may provide us with various pieces of personal data, which includes but is not limited to: E-Mail address, Name, School of Study, Gender, Sexual Orientation and relationship status.
- Due to the practicalities of the email listening service, it is necessary for users to provide an email address. All other data provision by service users is voluntary.
With any personal information you may choose to provide, London Nightline will:
- Store e-mails on a secure server and/or e-mail account.
- Only store user’s data for the time that is deemed reasonably necessary, this will normally be 100 days from the user’s last correspondence with us.
- Only access user’s information if it is deemed necessary in order to offer our services to those users.
- Only provide access to user’s information to the volunteers on duty when following contact from a user (e.g. receipt of a listening email), and to any other volunteers that is deemed necessary in order to offer a high standard of service.
- NOT share personally identifiable information with any 3rd party unless specifically asked to do so by the user in question.
- Will record a limited number of non-personally identifiable pieces of information (such as date of contact, broad contact category) which will only be used for analysis purposes. Abstract versions of this information may be passed onto 3rd parties, which may include but is not limited to Student Unions, Higher Education Institutions and other external bodies. Any information shared in this way will be untraceable to any individual in accordance with the stipulations of the Data Protection Act (1998).
Under this data protection statement data subjects (users) have the following rights:
- They may choose at any time to withdraw any part or all of their personal information from us. To do this users must give us 14 working days written notice (e-mail is acceptable) Once notice has been given we will remove the requested information from all of our records.
- Users may, at any time, request a copy of the information that London Nightline holds about them. This must be given in writing and we have 21 working days to respond to this address. Under the Data Protection act, London Nightline may levy an administration charge of up to £10 to provide a copy of the information held.